Our skin goes through many changes as we head into menopause, typically around the early to mid-fifties, so your usual skincare products and spa treatments will need a change-up to best meet your needs. While many of us aren’t always thrilled to be heading into this period of hormonal shift, taking control of your self care can empower you and make you feel much more positive as you reach this milestone.
The most common symptom of menopause is a much drier skin. Over this time your skin’s oil glands aren’t as active, so your skin suffers from a loss of natural lipids, including ceramides and fatty acids. Skin can easily become dehydrated, and many report that it also becomes more sensitised, due to a less effective moisture barrier. At the same time, you lose some facial fat and your skin’s elasticity drops. Mother nature can be cruel! However, the good news is that today the skin needs of menopausal women are well catered for, with an excellent range of targeted products and treatments to get you feeling like your younger self in no time.
Here are some key things to add to your routine:
Vitamin A is an essential anti-ager – as well as minimising lines and wrinkles it also boosts skin thickness, which in turn makes it appear plumper and more youthful. Vitamin A is a skin essential at any age, but even more so in your 50s.
- Synergie Ultimate A, a night serum with vitamin A, that’s powerful yet still gentle on skin.
- Doctor Babor A16 Booster Concentrate, which activates the fibroblasts which produce collagen and contains concentrated vitamin A.
It’s also an ideal time to add an all-in-one anti aging serum to your routine. These give your skin a boost of antioxidants, peptides, vitamins and more.
- Bioelements Age Activist Clinical Youth Serum – a potent cocktail of retinol, peptides and CoQ10.
- Synergie Super Serum – an advanced formula to stimulate collagen with a cutting-edge neuropeptide that mimics the effects of muscle relaxants, softening fine lines and wrinkles.
- Bioelements Plumpstart – an antioxidant concentrate that instantly smoothes over fine lines.
After you apply your serums, you might want to switch to a skincare oil rather than your usual lotion or cream, to increase moisture even further.
- Organic Nation Supernatural8 Recovery Oil – contains eight certified organic oils for exceptional hydration.
Essential fatty acids
Diet also plays an important role in boosting drier skin. Look for foods that contain plenty of essential fatty acids, such as nuts, seeds, avocado and salmon. An easy way to ensure you’re always keeping your skin nutrition optimal is to take a daily supplement.
- Bestow Beauty Oil with Omega 3 and 6 – ideal in smoothies or over yogurt or cereal at breakfast.
Treat yourself to a regular Bioelements Collagen Rehab Facial. This amino acid power treatment helps support skin’s youth collagen and elastin performance and leaves your skin feeling supple and radiant.