First wax or a regular you can’t go wrong with some advice to make this less painful and the most effective it can be!
Things to prep yourself before the appointment:
- If you are worried about the pain or find waxing painful take 2 paracetamol 30 minutes before your appointment. This will help reduce sensitivity!
- Make sure your hair is long enough. For the wax to grip the hairs they need to be 0.5mm long. If you not sure feel free to pop in to the spa to get someone to check.
- If you suffer with very dry skin exfoliate and moisturise the night before so the wax can grip the hair and not dry skin… This will speed up the treatment time!
During your appointment
- 1 rule. The more taught the skin is the better the result. Your therapist will let you know how you can help by smoothing the skin during the process.
- “Plucked chicken” may come to mind! This is a normal histamine reaction and will go down in 24 hours
- Itching/redness can also occur. Try not to scratch/touch the area as this can cause more inflammation.
- The main niggle people get from waxing is ingrown hairs. An ingrown hair is a hair that grows back into the skin and can cause a bump like a pimple and can be quite painful. This is usually more common on curly hair as they curl back on themselves but can occur on anyone due to a buildup of dry and dead skin obstructing the hair from growing as normal.
- To prevent ingrown hairs you can use a product such as PFB that contains AHA’s to exfoliate the dead skin and prevents bacteria from growing in the area preventing pimples. This should be applied 24 hours after the treatment. It’s in an easy roller so takes seconds!
- At home exfoliate and moisturise to keep the skin silky smooth
- Avoid swimming, heat treatments, applying any perfumes/creams to the area for 24 hours after the waxing treatment.
- You may notice you get some smaller hairs through before a week or two, especially if it’s your first wax treatment. This is because your hairs are in different cycles. The more regular the waxing the better the results.
- Make sure you book your next appointment in 4-6 weeks as this is when the hair is in its growing stage and the effects will last the longest. Also be less painful!
For Expert Waxing, see the professionals at Forme Spa! View our waxing prices here.